"A lot of women feel beholden to what the world says they should be but really it’s a lie. We are meant to be classy, strong, unique, beautiful women and there’s not one image or size that embodies these qualities."
It's very true when people say life works in mysterious ways and you never quite know what can happen. In getting to know more about Francesca Ricci, Founder of the blog Bloom Daily and store Lott and Hudson. I learned that one dream can lead you to your passion, even if that passion has nothing to do with what you thought you dream was.
MUSIC LEAD YOU TO LA BUT YOU ENDED UP IN FASHION. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?
I interned for a fashion designer before getting my first job in music. Once I was working in music, after about 4 years, I didn’t like where my path was headed and started thinking of what to do if I left. It’s crazy to go after one dream only to find out it’s not the best path. But this is the beauty of life! Fashion was always something I was drawn to. Growing up in Tucson, I subscribed to W and fashion was exciting and beautiful to me. My mom loves the art of dressing well and taught me from a very young age how to dress for your body type. She has a love and excitement for beautiful, classic design that makes her feel beautiful and confident so it rubbed off on me. Becoming a stylist was the part I was attracted to.
YOU WORKED WITH A DESIGNER HOW HAD A SHOW ON MTV! WHAT WAS IT LIKE?
When I moved to Los Angeles in 2007 I was looking anywhere I could to get my foot into the music door. A friend of mine was in a public relations class and heard a fashion designer with a reality show was looking for interns. She told me about it, knowing I loved fashion, so we both decided to do it. The show, House of Jazmin, didn’t take off as well as we hoped but it was such a great experience nonetheless! It was cool seeing this budding designer try and make her dream a reality. The filming part of it was interesting because there was definitely staged drama. The fashion shows were my favorite part though: making sure clothes were delivered, gift bags made, guest list correct. Learning the minute details.
WHAT IS YOUR MOST MEMORABLE FASHION EXPERIENCES?
Honestly, my most memorable experiences have been when my mom taught me something or when I’ve worn an outfit and felt absolutely beautiful. There are a couple moments where my outfit was so in tune with who I was I radiated joy. Other people felt it too and commented on it. Dressing to magnify who you really are is a power and completely changes your energy in a positive way.
HOW DID YOUR STORE LOTT AND HUDSON COME TO BE AND WHAT DO YOU SEE IN THE FUTURE FOR IT?
Over the years, my boss (in music) would give me bags and bags of brand new Jordans and other expensive footwear to give away. He only wore them once if at all! After a while, it dawned on me to start reselling what he (and other people) would give me. Opening Lott and Hudson was the natural next step when I was ready for something new. It became the perfect way to experiment with my love for styling and maximize the resources I’d been given.
I opened Lott and Hudson in March 2016 as a women’s clothing resale company. We find classy, modern pre-loved clothes in Los Angeles and Europe then sell them on our website or Instagram (we also consign items). The name was inspired after my honeymoon in London. I felt inspired and drawn to the sophistication and energy of the city. So when it came time to create the shop I wanted the name and products to embody the emotion I felt. A lot of women feel beholden to what the world says they should be but really it’s a lie. We are meant to be classy, strong, unique, beautiful women and there’s not one image or size that embodies these qualities. Class and strength start from our thoughts. Our state of being. I strongly believe clothing helps us to display the beauty and strength we have within. The goal is to make women feel beautiful just the way they are. To emphasize fit rather than a number and provide support mentally/emotionally as well through our blog Bloom Daily. Style is a symphony of what you have happening inside as well as out.
In the future, I’d like Lott and Hudson to offer its own clothing line with fabric and fit being the most important focus. Living in Europe has opened my eyes to the importance of certain fabrics! In the summers you will severely struggle in the heat unless you’re wearing cotton or linen. I’d also like to eventually expand into paper goods like planners, cards, and more.
YOU ALSO HAVE A BLOG, BLOOM DAILY. WHAT CAN READERS FIND THERE?
In our blog, Bloom Daily, you’ll find inspiring quotes, interviews, articles and other growth oriented content. It's a place for people who are interested in continual progression without the pressure. There’s no universal timeline or path you must follow so we try and post content with this idea in mind. We each have our own unique journey which can’t be forced or rushed. It’s our small daily actions which create us into the person we wish to become. Having an awareness and connection with ourselves and our lives is when we bloom into our greatest potential. We want people to feel loved no matter what stage of life they’re in. We just started a monthly email list where we’ll send inspiring articles, interviews, quotes and other resources to your inbox. Most of our readers are constantly wanting to improve and we hope to be a source of support in their journey.
WHAT ARE 5 FASHION DOs AND DON'Ts THAT PEOPLE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TOO?
- Tailoring your clothes to fit well - worth every penny. Baggy doesn’t look as good as form fitting no matter what size you are!
- Quality over quantity - Buying one expensive wardrobe staple rather than 3 cheap non essentials is the way to go. Also, I believe in only having items in your closet which spark joy. Be selective and conscious of what you buy.
- Repair your shoes - so many friends of mine would throw out their heels not knowing you can repair them once they wear down. Having shoes which look clean and polished makes a world of difference! It can make or break an outfit.
- Wear items which make you feel beautiful - a woman who feels confident and gorgeous will make a trash bag look good.
- Invest in high end jeans - I’m telling you this was a game changer for me. Buying 2-3 pairs of jeans which may cost from $60-$100 each was such a great investment. Good jean don’t have to be replaced as often and feel great.
- Wear baggy ill fitting clothing
- Worry about a tag size - there’s no uniform measurement system so brands vary. It’s about fit not a number!
- Focus on trends - they come and go but style lasts forever.
- Over do it - many people overdo patterns or wear a crazy amount of trends all in one outfit. Simple is always better! Coco Chanel said before you leave the house look in the mirror and remove one accessory. It’s a great philosophy. Look in the mirror and see if you could do with less of anything.
- Compare yourself - you are beautiful just as you are and comparing only makes you aware of what you don’t have or who you’re not. Focus on how beautifully you’re expressing yourself and celebrate yourself as you would someone else you admire!